You have two kidneys, each about the size of an adult fist, located on either side of the spine just below the rib cage.
Although they are small, your kidneys perform many complex and vital functions that keep the rest of the body in balance. For example, kidneys:
- Help remove waste and excess fluid
- Filter the blood, keeping some compounds while removing others
- Control the production of red blood cells
- Make vitamins that control growth
- Release hormones that help regulate blood pressure
- Help regulate blood pressure, red blood cells, and the amount of certain nutrients in the body, such as calcium and potassium.
Curious to learn more? 💡